Lakewood's C.H.O.I.C.E. began in 2013 with a vision to see drug prevention become a priority to see healthy families and resilient youth. After listening, learning, & doing a thorough community needs assessment in 2017, Lakewood's CHOICE expanded beyond Springbrook. Since inception and subsequent impact in Springbrook, Lakewood's CHOICE has expanded the community of focus to include all students of the Clover Park School District. Lakewood's CHOICE is a group of community members, youth serving agencies, school staff, nurses, youth, & caring adults.
We, with the help of our community coalition partners, have accomplished a lot in a short time!
- Summer mini-camps that empowered kids in the arts and sports to engage in positive pro-social activities that lead to a healthy lifestyle.
- Increased sense of connection to the community through community conversations, a block party & Community Resource Fair, Monthly movies, and community dinners/family nights.
- Comprehensive Public Awareness Campaign with Teen Late night called "Listen2yourselfie".
- Offering Incredible Years parenting series in Spanish for over 50 family members in Lakewood.
- Sustaining & expanding partners in prevention to create opportunities to leverage strengths & have a much wider and deeper influence in achieving our goals and objectives.
- A thriving prevention club that empowered over 500 high school kids in 2017-18 to pledge to be drug free.
OUR LEADERSHIP TEAM
Dianna Sullivan, Boys & Girls Club of South Puget Sound
Yvonne Elmendorf, Consejo Counseling & referral services
Holly Shaffer, Clover Park School District
Sally McDaniel, Greater Lakes Mental Healthcare
Michelle Angell, Lakewood Library
Karina Mercado, Clover Park High School Student
Gail Conelly, Lakewood Police Dept.
Andi Sledge, Pierce County Human Services
Lisa Solon, Lakewood's CHOICE